An important part of your inbound marketing efforts for your maid service, carpet cleaning service, residential or commercial cleaning service is search engine optimization (SEO). And for many cleaning service contractors, getting your website to rank in Google seems like an impossible task – with Google constantly changing their search algorithm.
However, with the right SEO tips and techniques, optimizing your residential or commercial cleaning service website is less difficult as it seems. The key in optimizing your site is choosing the right keywords and take enough time to do it correctly.
To get you started, I will give you six on-page SEO tips for free to help your maid service, carpet cleaning service, residential or commercial cleaning service website rank in Google:
1. Select the right Keywords for your cleaning service
The foundation of SEO are keywords. For people to find your content in the search engines, you need to optimize it for keywords that relate to your residential or commercial cleaning service business. To find the right keywords for your service, you will have to do extensive keyword research. Let me give you some tricks for your keyword research:
- Make a list of your cleaning company’s core services.
- Add relevant keywords for each service (You can use Google for help)
- Find similar keywords by typing a term into Google and by looking at the related search terms at the bottom
- Research competitor websites by using with a crawl tool like Screaming Frog and see what keywords they’re using to optimize their site
- Find out how your competitors are ranking for keywords by using tools like SEMRush, Moz or Google Keyword Planner
2. Make sure each page is about one topic
Each on your website – whether it’s a services page, blog or landing page – should be about one main topic. For example, if you’re writing a site page about your move-in cleaning services, don’t include information about gutter cleaning. Or, if you’re writing a blog about window cleaning tips, avoid getting too off topic by talking about how to clean outdoor tiles.
Keep your content focused on one main topic, and use that topic as your target keyword for the page. This helps Google, Bing and Yahoo when they’re crawling your cleaning business's website to determine what the page is about.
3. Use your keywords at the right places
When you’re optimizing your residential or commercial cleaning service website pages, there are certain areas on your page that you should focus on. Especially these:
- Page title or blog title: Should be 50-60 characters and include your target keyword
- Headlines: Are found within the content and should contain supporting keywords
- Content: Avoid overstuffing your content with keywords, but make sure all of your target and supporting keywords for that page/blog appear at least once
- Image name: Should include your target keyword
- Image alt text: A short sentence that includes an overview of your page’s content and should include a target or supporting keyword
- Meta description: Should be around 150-160 characters, include an overview of what the reader can expect from reading your content and include the target keyword. Your meta description should be different for every single page
4. Use A Permalink Structure That Includes Keywords
Some websites have odd permalink structures that use numbers or random letters to identify their pages. An example of this is www.your-cleaning-service.com/?pg-4881.
Not only is this bad for SEO, it doesn’t look good or help visitors understand what your page is about. Instead, use a URL structure that includes text, and make sure to include keywords in your URLs. For example, if you’re writing a services page about move-out cleanings, your URL could be www.your-cleaning-service.com/move-out-cleaning.
Bonus trick: separate multiple words in a URL with hyphens (-) rather than underscores (_).
5. organize Your Website Structure
The way you organize your residential or commercial cleaning service website’s navigation and architecture is essential to both your visitors and SEO. Search engines use your link structure to find and index pages. If your cleaning service's site is structured in an organized way, all of the pages will be easily found and indexed by search engines.
Also, an easy to follow navigation menu will help your visitors find what they’re looking for in the least amount of time. There is a “three clicks rule” and it says that any information on your cleaning service's website should be available to a user in three clicks or less. Don’t lose visitors by making them dig for the information they need.
6. Write For Humans, Not Google, bing or yahoo
Remember, you’re writing for humans – not Google, Yahoo, Bing or any other search engine. Make sure your content is valuable by answering the questions your audience has about your cleaning service and addressing their needs, pain points and challenges. Don’t overuse keywords in your content, and make sure your writing is natural, clear and personable.
Although getting your maid service, carpet cleaning service, residential or commercial cleaning service website to rank in search engines is time consuming and requires determination, it is possible if you put in the hours. SEO means patience, so realise that it will take some time to rank and optimize the pages of your website for the right keywords. But by using these six steps and by spending enough time, you are well underway to rank your cleaning service website in the search engines!
Need relevant and helpful content?
We would love to share with you what we can do for your cleaning service.
Share this Blog